In this January 2013 edition of the Nielsen Australian Online Landscape Review, we share the latest unique audience trends; including market statistics, gender demographics, top performing major categories, brands and sectors. Key take outs from the review include the below:
- The overall unique audience of 15 million online Australians was up marginally (+0.8%) on December 2012 with 39 billion page views and 23 billion minutes spent online.
- Google and Facebook maintained their place as the top online brand by page, and both experienced a one percent increase on unique audience growth in the month of January versus prior month.
- The escalating use of mobile continued in January 13, with Mobile Page Views growing to more than 410 million, an increase of 19 percent from December 2012 and 108 percent since January 2012.
- More than three-quarters of online Aussies (11.2 million) watched web based video content in January 2013
- More Australian homes now have access to internet via their TV than via a tablet, with 33 percent of Australian homes having a TV that can connect to the internet vs. 31 percent with a tablet computer. However, regular usage of these devices tells a very different story with only 5% of all online Australians using a connected TV to access the internet on a regular basis and 19% using a tablet regularly.
- Dual screening or multi tasking increased from 60 percent in 2011 to 74 percent in 2012