Capture a more comprehensive view of the non-conscious aspects of consumer decision-making with the most complete set of neuroscience tools at a global scale.
Our brains react to our world in milliseconds—faster than we’re consciously aware. And much of what drives our everyday decisions, including what we’ll watch, talk about and buy, are the emotional responses that can’t be measured through traditional self-report methods.
By using the latest neuroscience technologies in combination with traditional survey methods, we help brands understand consumers’ non-conscious and conscious emotional responses, memory activations and attentional patterns, empowering them to better navigate the increasing complexity of modern consumer behavior. Our insights provide actionable results and an unprecedented understanding of consumer related decision-making, allowing our clients to build deep, lasting connections with their target audiences.
Measures Non-Conscious Responses
Provides a holistic view of consumers, including responses that they’re not able to articulate.
Builds Brand Through Emotion
Ensures alignment with brand strategy to strengthen long-term memory and brand building.
Provides Granular Diagnostics
Delivers detailed feedback about content to improve performance with actionable results.
Ensures efficient and timely decision making
Focuses efforts on the right optimization areas to keep brand teams on track.
We specialize in optimizing the effectiveness of video and digital advertising, packaging, in-store elements and much more. With our ability to test globally in the lab and in more natural environments, brands can deploy our breakthrough methodologies virtually anywhere at any time.
Example applications include:
Video Ad Testing
Optimize advertising creative throughout the development process by pinpointing exactly what is (and isn’t) resonating with consumers.
Improve viewer attention and retention by understanding what drives emotional engagement in program content and advertising.
Analyze behaviors that draw consumers’ attention back to and from screens to optimize communication across devices.
Develop effective packaging by pinpointing which design and creative elements resonate best with your consumers.
Evaluate communication, signage, shelf and display layouts, in-store experience and new retail technologies to drive attention, engagement and sales.
Natural Environment Testing
Measure consumer responses in a natural consumer environment to understand media and device usage, consumer and product experiences as they occur.
Product and Sensory Experience
Evaluate consumer experience with product and components (including sensory science) to better understand emotional engagement.
Evaluate blue sky ideas, thought leadership research and much more.
Every brand is different, every challenge unique. By offering the most complete suite of cutting-edge, neuroscience-based tools at global scale, we can offer the proper solutions for each client’s particular needs. Since no single technology has a monopoly on the truth, we combine our tools to generate the most complete picture of the consumer.
Nearly 20 Ph.D. and M.D. neuroscientists lead our research efforts, supported by a Science Advisory Board comprising members from leading academic institutions around the world. Our team has authored more than 550 peer-reviewed articles, won more than a dozen Great Mind Awards from the Advertising Research Foundation and secured the largest intellectual property portfolio in the pervasive neurotechnology industry.1
1 SharpBrains study, May 2015.
We work with a variety of institutions and individuals to use our capabilities for the broader good, reinvesting more than 5% of our revenues to support specific causes. Whether we’re helping with epilepsy research or optimizing a non-profit ad campaign, we are committed to supporting organizations to effect positive social change.
- We're Ruled by Our Emotions, and So Are the Ads We Watch
- Put 'Em to the Test: How to Save Your Ads and Improve Their Resonance
- Nielsen TV: Twitter TV Signals Audience Engagement
- Social TV: A Bellwether for TV Audience Engagement
- Breaking the Mental Block: Helping Shoppers Stick to New Year's Resolutions
- Suiting Words to Action: Tailoring Advertising to Reinforce a Nonprofit's Message
Related Case Studies
- Case Study: Choosing the Best Spokesperson for Award-Winning Advertising
- Case Study: Understanding the Effectiveness of Native Advertising
- Case Study: Understanding the Effect of Social Media on TV Program Engagement
- Case Study: The Brains Behind Better Ads - Optimizing the Cute and Cuddly
- Case Study: Understanding the Bilingual Brain
- Case Study: Understanding the Best Super Bowl Ads
Nielsen in the News
- The Science of Shopping: Nielsen Consumer Neuroscience at Digiday Retail Summit (Nielsen)
- Nielsen Consumer Neuroscience Showcases Award-Winning F1 Headset to German Chancellor Angela Merkel (Nielsen)
- TBS Preps for Cable TV's First March Madness Title (Advertising Age)
- How CBS And Turner Made The NCAA’s Basketball Playoffs Bigger Than NBA Playoffs (International Business Times)
- Time Warner and Nielsen Will Study How Virtual Reality Affects the Subconscious (Adweek)
- Neuromarketing: The Mind-Reading Approach to Sales (WGBH)