Less than a month into watching the NBA season, Nielsen has spotted some noticeable trends, including several teams outscoring last year's ratings in their local markets. While the San Antonio Spurs are still the highest-rated NBA team with a 6.8 Average Household Rating in their market, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Portland Trailblazers are close behind, thanks to large increases in viewership compared to this time period last season.
NBA Local Ratings Box Score
- The New Orleans Hornets ratings are up 163% compared to a year ago, thanks in large part to last year's come-from-nowhere victory of their division.
- In Cleveland, fans witnessed the high flying Lebron James lead the Cavs to an eight-game winning streak, which fueled a109% lift in ratings from last season.
- Atlanta and Portland, two teams loaded with young talent, have captured the attention of their markets, with a 97% and 44% increase in their local ratings respectively.
- In Orlando, Dwight Howard and the Magic are atop their division, and are also enjoying a 26% boost in viewership compared to last season.
- The New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers, who benefit from the nation's two largest markets, are also outperforming last season, with 17% and 14% increases.
Top 10 Local Ratings 2008-09 Season
| Team|| Avg. Local HH Rating|
2008-09 Season vs. 2007-08 Season Ratings % Change
| Team|| % Change vs. YAGO|