THE NIELSEN COMPANY
Notice - Management of Applicant Data - Taleo
Please read this Notice carefully. By submitting application information at this website, you consent to Nielsen's collection and use of Applicant Data as described below.
- About The Nielsen Company. The Nielsen Company has its corporate headquarters in, New York, NY, USA. This Notice applies to The Nielsen Company and any one or all of its affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, "Nielsen" or "we"); a list of Nielsen subsidiaries with contact details is available at www.nielsen.com. The Human Resources Department may be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Purpose and Function of Taleo. Taleo is a human resource recruiting software program hosted on servers owned by the Oracle Corp. Applicants can create a profile and submit their resume and application through Taleo's software. Oracle is located within the United States and has been a participant in both the EU-US and Swiss-US Safe Harbor programs since 04/18/2002 (http://safeharbor.export.gov/companyinfo.aspx?id=14986).
- Data collection. Your submission of your application and related information is entirely voluntary. As part of the application process, Nielsen will collect certain personally identifiable information about you, including what you submit on application forms, on your resume, and other documents. Such information may initially include, but is not limited to, your name, address, telephone, email address, date of birth, social security or other identifying number, gender, occupation, education level, and income. If Nielsen considers your application or extends an offer of employment, Nielsen may collect certain additional information either directly from you or from third parties. (Personally identifiable information about you that we receive from you or others in connection with your application is herein referred to as "Applicant Data").
We may collect and retain Applicant Data manually or electronically, and electronic data collection may not always be obvious to you. For example, email servers may retain emails received and sent. Where Applicant Data is collected on a Nielsen website, we may use cookie technology to facilitate your use of our online application processes. When you visit our site, your browser automatically sends us an Internet Protocol address and certain other information, including the type of browser you use. Our cookies on this site are used solely to facilitate your online experience, and are not used to run malicious programs on your computer. Our cookies on this site expire within 24 hours. You may choose to modify your Internet browser setting to decline our cookie, but that may hinder or prevent your use of our online employment application tools.
Your use of the Taleo program is entirely voluntary, and requires entering data into the Taleo-hosted environment. The collected personal data shall be processed in and thereafter stored on a local server in an Oracle facility in the U.S. The personal data from new applications shall be reviewed by recruiters located in all parts of the world, whereby some recruiters are full-time Nielsen employees and some are outside contractors.
- Use of Applicant Data. Nielsen may use Applicant Data to communicate with you in writing or by telephone or online, to evaluate your application, to analyze Nielsen staffing needs and practices, or otherwise to efficiently manage the Nielsen hiring process and employee administration. We may combine Applicant Data with research tools and information from other sources.
- Accuracy of Applicant Data. From time to time, Nielsen may ask you to review and update the personally identifiable information we hold about you. You may contact Nielsen at any time to request to see this information, to request that it be corrected or updated, or to request the details of parties to whom it has been made available. Please contact a Human Resources Department representative to discuss any such request.
- Right to Access Personal Data. You have the right to access your personal data and to correct it by logging back into Taleo and updating it. You also have the right to receive information about the personal data gathered about you, the categories and purposes of processing of your personal data and to whom your data has been transmitted. New employees can log in to verify their personal information, consent to a background verification, if applicable, and e-sign a disclosure. We are required to retain information relating to candidates applying for jobs. Personal information of candidates will be retained in accordance with local law. If there is no activity in relation to the personal information, Nielsen may remove it from its database, subject to Nielsen's data retention obligations and policies and any applicable legal or regulatory obligations or for the period of time permitted by local laws, for the purpose of considering whether your skills are suitable for other opportunities. Note that Nielsen may delete personal information about you at any time (including your CV/résumé), without any reason. Therefore, please retain your own copy of the personal information provided to us.
- Data disclosures. Applicant Data is controlled primarily (but not exclusively) by Human Resources Department staff, and may be accessible electronically. Other staff involved in hiring or information management also may have access to some part or all of Applicant Data, as may senior management. To achieve the objectives described above, and because we are part of a larger group of companies operating internationally, we may from time to time make Applicant Data available to other companies within the Nielsen group of companies. Also, we may from time to time make Applicant Data available to legal and regulatory authorities (such as labor and tax authorities), to our accountants, auditors, lawyers and other outside professional advisers, and to parties providing products or services to us (such as IT systems suppliers, and human resources consultants). Notwithstanding any other provision of this Notice, we also may disclose Applicant Data to any third party when disclosure is required by law, or desirable to permit us to exercise our legal rights or take action regarding illegal activities, or to protect the safety of any person. If all or part of our company is sold, merged, or otherwise transferred to another entity, we may transfer Applicant Data as part of that transaction.
- Storage, transfers and security of Applicant Data. We may store Applicant Data for as long as needed for the purposes indicated in this Notice, but in any event not longer than permitted by local law from the date of collection unless you become employed by the Company, in which case a different retention period may apply. Records not specifically designated as Application Data may have different retention periods (e.g., email server records of emails received or sent). As stated above, Applicant Data are processed in and thereafter stored on a local server in an Oracle facility in the United States. We have in place certain security measures to protect the confidentiality of Applicant Data (such as firewalls to protect servers), but the storage and communication of personal data cannot always be completely secure.
- We do not knowingly collect application information from children under age 13.
- We may change this Notice. This Notice supersedes and replaces any other statement we may have made to you about Nielsen's collection and use of Applicant Data. We reserve the right to update and make material changes to this Notice and to our practices in handling Applicant Data to the extent permitted by applicable law. You may view the currently effective Notice any time online at www.Nielsen.com, or you may request a copy by contacting a Human Resources Department representative.
- This Notice applies only to Applicant Data.