Sydney, Australia – 20 July 2016 – Regional TAM today announced they will increase the number of homes in its television audience measurement (TAM) panel by 50% and confirmed they intend to extend Nielsen’s contract to supply TV audience measurement services in Australia’s aggregated regional television markets and sub-markets, for a further term.
Regional TAM Chair, Deborah Wright, said: “Investing to expand the panel is about increasing the core service and coverage to deliver the market even more robust ratings with more granularity and better ability to measure consumers’ expanded television viewing behaviour.”
“Regional TAM’s meters per population will be among the highest in the world and this enables measurement of the important sub-markets. The opportunity to buy targeted markets in regional areas is a major plus for marketers, and an ongoing growth opportunity for regional networks. The investment to expand the panel by 50% enables Regional TAM to continue to provide robust measurement of TV audiences in regional markets, and sets up a robust measurement platform for the future as technology and consumers’ viewing behaviour of TV content continues to evolve.”
Nielsen’s Head of TV Audience Measurement, David Ellem, said: “Regional TAM have been responsive to the growing number of free to air viewing options available throughout regional Australia. This investment to increase the panel so substantially sets up regional TV measurement not just for today, but for the future, and keeps the industry ahead of the curve in measuring the evolving consumers’ TV viewing behaviours – regardless of their location.”
The Regional TAM service provides detailed, daily viewing data of the highest integrity, and is subject to high levels of review and inspection. Concurrently, OzTAM has today announced the expansion of its own panel by 50% to more than 5,000 homes across the five metropolitan TV markets.
Regional TAM has contracted Nielsen to provide TAM services since 2003. The service provided by Nielsen has undergone several enhancements over this period, including the introduction of measurement for digital terrestrial TV, 7 day time-shift viewing and 28 day time-shift viewing. The TAM service has been enhanced across the period, including the introduction of ‘beep’ into Regional TAM people-meters, extension of the coverage of Establishment Survey to include mobile phone-only homes, use of IP polling, use of IP referencing, dual-metering of PC and TVs in a sub-sample of Regional TAM homes.
Wright added: “Nielsen has consistently displayed an ability to innovate and respond fast to the developing needs for our regional TV ratings currency. This will be a vital characteristic over the medium term as Regional TAM extends from measuring viewing behaviour across a single (in home TV) platform, to a service that produces insights on the impact of total TV viewing across multiple devices.”
Background and evolution of Regional TAM’s TV ratings service
- Nielsen is Regional TAM’s audience research supplier, recruiting, operating and maintaining the in-home panels, and producing the TV ratings data. Regional TAM owns the copyright to and Nielsen markets the data on behalf of Regional TAM.
- Households are recruited to Regional TAM’s panel via a large-scale Establishment Survey, which defines and accurately represents the population and its characteristics for which Regional TAM provides data.
- Regional TAM first awarded the contract to supply television audience measurement services in Australia to the Italy-based AGB Group (now Nielsen) in 2003. The Nielsen contract, based on a panel of 2,000+ homes continued for the period 2010-15 and was followed by further extension from 2016 to 2017.
- Investment in Unitam meters allowed Regional TAM to add 7-day Time Shift Viewing data to its ratings service from the start of the 2010 ratings year. In 2016 Time Shift Viewing up to 28 days after the original broadcast was introduced.
- The TAM service has been enhanced across the period, including the introduction of ‘beep’ into Regional TAM peoplemeters, extension of the coverage of Establishment Survey to include mobilephone-only homes, use of IP polling, use of IP referencing, dual-metering of PC and TVs in a sub-sample of Regional TAM homes.
Further detail on Regional TAM’s TV panel can be found at www.regionaltam.com.au
OzTAM is Australia’s official source of television audience measurement (TAM) covering the five metropolitan markets (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth) and nationally for subscription television. OzTAM ratings are the accepted metric by which Australian television is evaluated. The media industry uses OzTAM data to assist in program development, advertising planning and to gauge the performance of television programs, networks and advertising campaigns. OzTAM’s Video Player Measurement (VPM) reporting service provides Australia’s first official figures for viewing of internet-delivered TV content. www.oztam.com.au
Nielsen N.V. (NYSE: NLSN) is a global performance management company that provides a comprehensive understanding of what consumers Watch and Buy. Nielsen’s Watch segment provides media and advertising clients with Total Audience measurement services across all devices where content — video, audio and text — is consumed. The Buy segment offers consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers the industry’s only global view of retail performance measurement. By integrating information from its Watch and Buy segments and other data sources, Nielsen provides its clients with both world-class measurement as well as analytics that help improve performance. Nielsen, an S&P 500 company, has operations in over 100 countries that cover more than 90 percent of the world’s population. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com
For further information please contact:
Tel: +61 403 074 864