Europe / Netherlands / / Offsite
#: 76806-en_US / 76806
Elite Athlete Biography Researcher (Work From Home) – 76806
Gracenote – Netherlands Offsite, Offsite
Job title: Elite Athlete Biography Researcher
Organisation: Gracenote, a Nielsen Company
Department: Biography Research Project (BRP)
About: The Biography Research Project (BRP) compiles and maintains in-depth biographies on thousands of athletes for provision to the world’s media at major sporting events like the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Commonwealth Games, and Asian Games. We are looking for two native English speakers to join our global team of biography researchers, tasked with researching and compiling biographies on athletes for use by the media at the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Location: This is a work-from-home position. You must have your own computer and internet connection.
Hours/Start date: 24 hours per week (13 days per month) from 01 Feb 2021 to 31 May 2021, then 32-40 hours per week (negotiable) from 01 Jun 2021 to 31 Jul 2021. At the conclusion of the seven-month contract, longer term opportunities through to 2022 can be discussed.
- You will be responsible for researching elite athletes online to produce official biographies for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. These bios are distributed to the world’s media via the official Games-time information system, to which Gracenote is a service provider. We also have a range of international federation clients you will also work on.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that the world’s media is provided with correct, up-to-date factual and anecdotal information on athletes. A strong sense of newsworthiness is essential, along with the ability to condense and summarise anecdotal information in a timeless, objective style. Our goal is to inform, not entertain, our audience of fellow media professionals.
- Researchers must ensure that bios from more than 40 sports accurately reflect the rules, regulations, competition framework, trends and nuances of each sport. You do not have to be an expert in all sports, but you must have enough general sporting knowledge and intuition to ensure information is communicated in an accurate and credible manner for each sport.
- Our bios are written in British English and contain more than 30 different fields. In addition to a detailed general style guide, each field has strict formatting and content requirements that researchers must learn and follow.
- Efficient, advanced online research abilities in both English and foreign-language media.
- Keen eye for detail, fact-checking and cross-referencing to ensure accuracy.
- Strong sense of newsworthiness for media working at the Olympic Games.
- Ability to write in a timeless, objective style that avoids editorialising, commentary or opinion.
- Ability to learn and adhere to a large volume of style, content and publication guidelines.
- Strong general sporting knowledge and intuition, and ability to learn / adapt to new sports.
- Ability to work autonomously and meet weekly workload requirements.
- Native English speaker with own computer and internet connection.
- Journalism or communications degree.
- Minimum one year experience as a journalist in news writing for media outlets.
- All candidates must be willing to take part in an unpaid selection process that includes up to six timed trial biographies completed individually in Nov / Dec 2020. These are internal trial exercises for evaluation purposes only and will not be used or delivered to any clients in any form. They are essential for us to evaluate candidates’ research skills, sense of newsworthiness and ability to communicate information objectively in accordance with style guidelines. Please indicate your agreement to participate in these in your cover letter.
ABOUT NIELSEN GLOBAL MEDIA
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Job Type: Temporary
Primary Location: Offsite,Offsite
Secondary Locations: Remote, , ,