Europe / Germany / / Cologne
Technology & Engineering
#: 89768-en_US / 89768
Operating as a division of Nielsen, Nielsen Sports is the premier provider of analytics and insights within the growing sports industry, offering the most reliable source of independent and holistic market data in the industry and the most complete view of consumer trends and habits worldwide. Combining solutions from sponsorship effectiveness to fan data capabilities with Nielsen’s understanding of consumer behavior and media consumption means Nielsen Sports is uniquely positioned to help sports teams, sports organizations, broadcasters and brands maximize their commercial success. Our clients include many household names across the sporting world. If you would like to learn more please visit our website. https://nielsensports.com/
Nielsen Sports Engineering has teams based in New York City, Tel-Aviv, Halifax Nova Scotia and Cologne. The business has grown the Engineering team size by 50% over the last 1.5 years to help the business execute on its strategy of solidifying its market position and developing new product lines to increase Market Share. The overall global engineering team is responsible for the development, deployment and maintenance of the tooling, data pipelines, data warehouses, machine learning and customer facing UI. The company is committed to a cloud migration with a clear target architecture which will be achieved through an evolutionary plan of updating existing systems to microservices using Docker, Kubernetes, and Kafka.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are essential to everything we do at Nielsen. When we operate in a culture that is diverse, equitable and inclusive, innovation flourishes.
Our team views diversity as a strength and we are looking for people who will help us build an inclusive culture of belonging where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. Nielsen is a one hundred year old company that is even more relevant today. It’s a great place to make a career!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer in Cologne, Germany. This position is part of a scrum team of 5-7 software engineers. Systems and services developed by the engineering teams in Germany cover and support a wide range of the Nielsen Sports portfolio, including a global TV recording system, social media scanning and content collection, image and brand recognition as well as data processing and providing interfaces to systems developed by other teams and for reporting to our clients. Bringing experience and technical knowledge to the team, creating high-quality code and contributing to the architecture and technical design of components owned by the team with the goal of developing systems towards one integrated platform will be a high priority for this role. Coaching and sharing knowledge within the team and across the organization to sustain high-quality development and technical innovation is a key part of the responsibilities.
A wide range of technology has been used in the components owned by the Cologne team and many of the systems are hosted in on-premise data centers. Key technologies used in the systems include MySQL for data storage and task management, web application front ends for data production and reporting, and a variety of background services for processing. The company is committed to a cloud migration with a clear target architecture which will be achieved through an evolutionary plan of updating existing systems to microservices using Docker, Kubernetes, and Kafka. New components will preferably be built with .NET 5 in C# and Angular for frontends deployed via GitLab CI/CD on AWS. We strongly believe in always using the right tool for a job, so all engineers are encouraged to constantly monitor and evaluate innovation and developments in technology with the team and the wider Nielsen engineering community and suggest and select the best tools and technologies for the jobs at hand.
With your team you will:
- Develop and maintain products, components and services within the Nielsen Sports ecosystem using the team’s preferred technology stack. .NET 5, C#, Angular, container technology and appropriate AWS services
- Own technology definition and development of tools, products and components developed by your team
- Collaborate with engineering teams across the organization to deliver product increments in the Nielsen Sports Product range
- Ensure efficient development practices are set up and followed within your team
- Be responsible as a team for quality, security and reliability of components and development practices within the team
- Consistently and predictably deliver valuable releases to the production environment in a continuous deployment environment
- Share knowledge within your team as well as the wider Nielsen engineering community
- Promote DevOps culture – Engineering teams own applications and deployment in production coordinating with technical operations and DevOps teams
- Minimize production issues that impact customers and internal teams dependent on engineering applications
- Ensure that production issues have minimal impact on customers and internal teams
We’ve listed below the experiences you may have developed in your career that will help you succeed in this role. You may not have had all of them, critically you should be able to share your experiences of development skills and craft as well as mentorship within a team.
In order of preference/best match:
- Extensive software development experience in at least one modern programming languages, including TypeScript and C#
- Strong experience in modern development frameworks preferably .NET 5 and Angular
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Strong experience in software architecture and design for scalability, performance and reliability
- Deep understanding of cloud services, uses, and cloud architecture best practices, AWS preferred.
- Experience in developing and deploying software to cloud (AWS) and data center environments
- Experience in API design and development, preferably for GraphQL
- Experience in maintaining, supporting and upgrading software systems in production
- Fluency in spoken and written English, and ideally fluency or strong command of German (spoken and written)
- Strong data engineering experience including a deep understanding of databases, data pipelines and data warehousing
- You will have worked with multiple databases, both relational and NoSQL and will understand the pros and cons of each type
- Experience in growing one or more engineers skill set through coaching and mentoring
- Familiar with web standards and protocols such as HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, and socket APIs in general
An informal atmosphere in a dynamic media company with opportunities for ownership and personal development
Motivated, sports minded colleagues
Flexibility in a “smart working” model
A competitive salary
A laptop with OS of your choice (Windows, Mac or Linux)
Job application, additional information and questions
Please apply by using the “apply” link in this job advertisement, and kindly submit your CV in English.
We have a desire to fill this role as soon as possible, as soon as the right person has been found. For any questions, please contact responsible recruiter Jacob S. Madsen via e-mail Jacob.firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: +44 77 33 26 48 33