Europe / Netherlands / / Nieuwegein
#: 81973-en_US / 81973
Combine your passion for Tech and Sport!
Who are we?
Gracenote Sports is a leading international sports company that provides innovative and unique
products and services to the sports industry with the ambition to publish accurate, reliable and stable data within one second in all products on all platforms.
Gracenote’s sports database is one of the largest in the world covering the largest breadth of sports. Customers and partners are national and international media, TV channels, international sports federations and organizers of events (such as the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games).
Gracenote Sports product development team is a team of 60 people consisting of software engineers, product managers and project managers. The team is based in two offices, one in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and one in Nieuwegein, close to Utrecht Netherlands where this vacancy is open.
Gracenote Sports is part of Gracenote Inc., headquartered in Emeryville, California. Gracenote is a world leading metadata company supplying Video, Music and Sports metadata to many of the worlds biggest companies. Gracenote is part of Nielsen.
What does the job involve?
You join the Streams team, an experienced, informal and enthusiastic scrum team of 5 developers, working on stream-processing components that process sports data at real-time, as well as the data publication platform for said sports data. Together with this team, you’ll be responsible for developing the data publication platform’s API.
As part of the team, you’ll be working on improving the Node.js based Sports API that is responsible for serving live Sports Data to clients (both other enterprises as well as individual consumers). You’ll be responsible for development of the API from a functional (API-Design) perspective, as well as a non-functional one (Performance, Stability and Reliability, CI/CD).
Being part of the Streams team, you’ll also get in contact with a lot of stream-processing and data ingestion components (Scala and Kafka based). Although this isn’t what we’re primarily expecting from you, you are invited to learn and participate in that work as well.
Examples of projects you will be working on
Implementing, and releasing, new API endpoints to serve out aggregated sports data.
Improving the functional Design of our Live Sports Data API.
Adding / extending new features in our Live Sports Data API like Versioning, Internationalization and Customer Entitlement.
Improving the Performance, Stability and Reliability of our Live Sports Data API.
Streamlining our build and deployment pipelines of our Live Sports Data API.
Ingestion of sports data from internal/external sources and transformation (through stream-processing) into a single unified global schema with data sources ranging from
Internal databases and data entry tooling.
Feeds from other Gracenote Verticals (like Gracenote Video).
Third party data providers.
Delivering Olympic data sub-second to big international clients like NBC: from Olympic venue to Client website.
The ideal candidate:
- Has experience with developing (HTTP) APIs.
- Is comfortable in a DevOps culture, and knows how to get their work into production.
- Has relevant work experience with both NoSQL (MongoDB) and SQL databases (PostgreSQL, SQL Server).
- Has good communication skills and is able to share their knowledge with the team.
- Has good knowledge of the English language, both spoken and written.
- Furthermore, it is an advantage if you
- Have experience with building frontend applications consuming HTTP APIs.
- Have experience with other programming languages, especially our other primary languages (Scala and Python).
- Have an affinity with sports, active or passive.
- Have an affinity with data and data streams.
- Have experience working in an Agile environment.
- A multinational company, with clients like FIFA, NOS, NBC, CBC, IOC, Eurosport, NU.nl, LG, and many more.
- Working in an Agile product development team using the Scrum framework.
- Working with a modern tech stack
- API based on Node.js and MongoDB
- Deployments on Kubernetes with Helm
- Infrastructure hosted on AWS provisioned with Terraform
- Data processing pipelines based on Scala and Kafka and similar deployment models
- An informal atmosphere in a dynamic media company with opportunities for ownership and personal development.
- Motivated, sports minded colleagues.
- A competitive salary and good benefits.
- A laptop with OS of choice (Windows, Mac or Linux).
- Our interview process
- We believe that people are the most important part of our business. Our interview process is designed to help us find the right mix of technical and team work and for all applicants to decide if this is the right opportunity for them.
The interview process consists of the following steps:
A short phone call with the candidate to make initial contact
A practical short code test to help demonstrate good software development skills
A face to face interview with the team including a session pairing with one or more of our software engineers (this can be done remotely too if needed – we prefer it if you can come to our office)
We may schedule a final interview if there are further topics from either party which need discussion
Gracenote will supply feedback at all stages to the candidate. We appreciate every person who shows an interest in our role and commit to giving you the best open and transparent process we can.
Would you like to apply?
Are you looking for a sports challenge within an international, ambitious organization, please send your application with a resume to our HR consultant.