Africa and Middle East / South Africa / / Johannesburg
Finance & Corporate Development
#: 89223-en_US / 89223
About the Role:
Support all aspects of local controlling and accounting in the local market. Assist with the coordination of activities between Operational Controlling, Revenue Controlling and Business Finance. Perform local accounting activities specific to the respective market. Support the local core finance processes.
A successful Associate Operational Controller will achieve a balanced coordination of all core and continuous finance activities between the local environment and the Global and Regional organization. S/he will have met all controllership metrics and ensured solid controls are in place and functioning.
- Support the local controllership function and lead the local Operational Controlling team; provide financial oversight on the local business.
- Ensure adequate performance and reporting on the following by leveraging both onshore and offshore resources:
- US-GAAP accounting/closing, accruals, and account reconciliations
- Financial closing and consolidation
- Procure-to-pay functions (invoice & payment processing, T&E, etc)
- Intercompany transactions and reconciliation
- Support compliance with all relevant global, regional or local policies, procedures and guidelines
- Support change locally with regard to standardization and simplification initiatives as governed by the Global or Regional COE core teams or by Finance leadership
- Assist in producing monthly closing dashboard, and quarterly and year-end reporting packs in accordance with corporate requirements for the local market
- Support Operational Controller to maintain internal controls and SOX documentation and ensure effective control environment through active coordination with the Group Controller and the Global and Regional COE core teams
- Support the Operational Controller during local internal audit and compliance review assignments, including any SOX or distributed audits
- Assist with the maintenance of local statutory accounts and ensure ongoing compliance to local regulation for the local legal entities
- Assist in the statutory and tax accounting and audit processes and act as the single point of contact for external auditors and/or tax and statutory authorities or consultants.
- Link in with FP&A and Consolidation teams on closing schedule, accounting services, and consolidated accounts
- Work with Operational and Group Controller on compliance and governance
- Work with peer group in Operational Controlling on local controlling, accounting and payment activities
- Work with the Revenue Controlling functions primarily on revenue related activities as well during the closing process
- Other transverse functions (facilities, HR, internal audit, etc) for accrual input, etc
Qualifications & Skills:
- Degree in Finance or Accounting preferred
- Local or international Accounting qualification (CA, ACCA, ACMA, or other) preferred
- Fluency in English and local language mandatory; third regional language preferred
- Relevant professional experience in accounting or financial controlling
- External audit or public accounting experience preferred
- Knowledge and experience with local statutory requirements and statutory audits (Local GAAP, statutory financial statements, tax calculations, VAT returns) preferred
- Knowledge and experience with US-GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) preferred
- Experience with ERP systems (preferably SAP) preferred
- IT-PC literate (Google for Work, Microsoft Office)
- Strong communication skills, team player, leadership traits.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The South African Finance & Accounting Services team is comprised of an Operational Controller, Associate Operational Controller and outsourced Shared Service Center managed by TCS located in Chennai, India. South African Finance team reports to our AME sub region.
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!