North America / United States / NY / New York City
#: 80103-en_US / 80103
Data Science Software Developer – 80103
Data Science – USA New York, New York
Nielsen Media is the global leader in measuring what people watch and listen to on TV, Digital and Audio in a changing media landscape. Data Science is essential to Nielsen’s mission. We offer a fast-paced environment for methodology and software development in a team of world-class computer scientists, statisticians, data scientists, and behavioral methodologists.
What would make me a great candidate?
You enjoy bridging the fields of data science and software development. You’re equally excited about building models at scale and writing production-ready software that can run in the cloud. You understand machine learning and know how to implement best software development practices across a team. You’re intellectually curious and prepared to learn from your peers, just as you are comfortable educating your colleagues in software development and testing standards.
What will I do?
- Plan, design, develop, test, and maintain data-science applications in Python and Spark
- Operate in Agile framework with cross-functional accountabilities
- Manage large databases
- Configure software to run in the cloud
- Productionalize machine-learning algorithms
- Optimize structural design and appraise the performance and consistency of developed applications' designs
- Evaluate, test, troubleshoot, promote and develop maintenance procedures and enhancements for live applications
- Provide technical support to end users
- Address critical bug/issues in a timely manner
Is this for me?
- Proficiency in Python, Spark, SQL
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
- Skill for writing reusable Python libraries
- Ability to design scalable modules for machine learning and statistical applications
- Familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Proficiency in Airflow and Docker
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Experience in implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Proficiency in Git and code versioning tools (Gitlab)
- Experience with Agile Scrum methodologies
- Familiarity with continuous integration/continuous development
- Familiarity with cloud computing (AWS preferred)
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or data science
- Experience with APIs
- Strength in code documentation
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Self-motivation and an ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop effective relationships with other team members
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Primary Location: New York,New York