North America / United States / MD / Columbia
#: 90102-en_US / 90102
Data Scientist – Audio Team – 90102
Data Science – USA Columbia, Maryland
Audio is everywhere these days. It’s available on multiple platforms and devices, and it engages millions of listeners. In fact, radio alone reaches almost 270 million American listeners each week. That’s why Nielsen measures audio and makes it easier for advertisers to effectively value the medium and help determine its rightful place in the media planning mix. With Nielsen’s gold standard of audio measurement, advertisers can reach engaged local and national audiences—successfully using the science of measurement to connect with impassioned consumers to drive business success. This Data Scientist will work as an intergral member of the Core Audio Transformation Diary team in a time-critical production enviornment.
What will I do?
- Responsible for a set of recurring operational tasks, for meeting stringent methodological requirements and meeting the highest of customer expectations.This includes support with writing new software, testing and end-user requirements.
- Maintains and updates documented departmental procedures, checklists and metrics comprehensively and on a timely basis.
- Implements prevention and detection controls to ensure data integrity.
- Able to effectively communicate complex ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Develops, tests, and implements high quality, modular python code that can be seamlessly integrated into an existing production system.
- Develops and implements machine learning solutions to leverage big data from internal and external sources.
- Queries data from large relational databases/Data warehouse/Data Lakes for various analyses and/or requests.
- Works closely with internal customers and IT personnel to improve current processes and engineer new methods. This includes support with writing new software, testing and end-user requirements.
- Detects, troubleshoots, and resolves data or system anomalies to support uninterrupted production.
- May work directly with sample vendors to acquire sample.
Is this for me?
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, economics, business or fields that employ rigorous data analysis.
- Proficiency with Python, R
- Experience utilizing GitLab and/or Git or similar to manage code development
- Strong verbal, presentation, and written skills
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Expertize in querying large datasets with SQL and of working with Oracle, Netezza, Data Warehouse and Data Lake data structures
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word) and/or Google Office Apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides, Gmail)
- Expertize with Tableau, Spotfire, or other data visualization software and techniques
- Proficiency with statistical tests and procedures such as Regression, ANOVA, Chi-squared, Correlation, and Student t-test
- Knowledge of survey sampling methodologies
- Knowledge of Apache Spark ecosystem, Databricks, and AWS
- 3+ years’ experience in at least one of the following fields: data science, data analysis, engineering, accounting, business administration/operations, consulting, finance, logistics/supply chain, management information systems, or operations management/research
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Columbia,Maryland
Secondary Locations: , , ,