North America / United States / IL / Chicago
#: 94962-en_US / 94962
Lead Data Scientist – 94962
Data Science – USA Chicago, Illinois
The Lead Data Scientist position will research, develop, and implement various statistical techniques and data integration methodologies, combining a multitude of data assets, in order to provide our clients with a single, cohesive, and representative view of how people watch television — both in and out of their homes. Make an immediate impact as we evolve our Out of Home methodology to coincide with Nielsen’s overall strategy of transforming audience measurement, blending the strengths of high quality representative panel data with the scale of “big data” assets such as set top boxes and Smart TVs.
The Out of Home team contains a mix of skills ranging from data science to analytics to data engineering, with the goal of solving the most important challenges/questions with the right data, algorithms, and tools. In this role you will own the design and support of Nielsen’s out of home methodology. Your day to day will primarily consist of coding in Python/SQL — researching and testing methodological enhancements, automating workflows to facilitate execution of repeatable tasks for use in future research and analytics, and wrangling or simulating data to answer important questions for internal and external clients. You will also manage a small team of junior data scientists, taking an active role in their technical and professional development.
The ideal candidate has a strong data intuition and is passionate about developing data-driven solutions to provide accurate and representative measurement to our clients. You should have an ability to be scrappy when necessary but lean towards building scalable longer term solutions.
What will I do?
- Learn and become an expert in panel data, big data, and data integration techniques — with a focus on statistical weighting and sample balancing.
- Create and manage multiple projects from beginning to end including the selection of methodologies, technical tools, and processes that most effectively and efficiently reach the desired outcome
- Conduct research and analytics to ensure methodologies are fit for purpose and working as intended; troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve when they are not
- Develop, implement and maintain good programming standards and practices across our data science and analytics codebase.
- Use git and cloud development tools extensively to iterate and improve data science workstreams
- Implement strategies to automate implementation of methodologies. Actively sponsor and participate in code reviews.
- Support senior team members when collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders. This includes providing status updates, developing timelines, sharing data, executing tests, presenting results, etc.
- Manage and teach a small team of junior associates
Is this for me?
- Master’s degree in a quantitative research field, such as data science, statistics, mathematics, social sciences, biological/physical sciences, computer science, etc.
- 5+ years research experience in a business setting
- Outstanding statistical and analytical skills with working knowledge of sampling theory and probability/non probability methods
- Python proficiency
- SQL proficiency
- Experience with cloud environments and big data technologies
- Collaborative code development experience, including version control, unit/integration testing, code review and sharing
- Experience in managing and executing large-scale, complex technical projects
- Experience managing people
- Curiosity and skepticism
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working within Agile teams
- Experience with BI and visualization tools (Spotfire or Tableau)
- Some experience in, or knowledge about, the media or TV industry
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Chicago,Illinois
Secondary Locations: FL – Tampa – Oldsmar, Remote, ,