North America / United States / MD / Columbia
#: 76963-en_US / 76963
Lead Data Scientist – 76963
Data Science – USA Columbia, Maryland
What is the role?
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our innovative team of Panel and Meter researchers. We are researching hardware, software, and business rule changes that will improve the accuracy of our data reporting. The team member will work on both statistical research and code development. They will need to design and execute large scale research projects based on abstract concepts, and then use the results of their research to implement changes into future production methodologies. The team member will need to present research to key stakeholders and collect/implement feedback as necessary. They need to understand system architecture, code optimization, and automation for deployment, but do not need to be experts in all of these areas. Methodologies are primarily associated with television measurement.
What will I do?
- Design, execute and summarize large scale research projects based on abstract questions and concepts.
- Provide recommendations based on research findings.
- Document research plans, results, and conclusions. Share them with auditors as needed.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in various departments (Engineering, Data Science, Technology, etc.). This includes providing status updates, developing timelines, sharing data, executing tests, presenting results, etc.
- Explain complex mathematical and computer science concepts in simple terms to non-technical audiences.
- Configure, deploy, monitor and update a drools engine and some supporting java code.
- Coordinate regular code reviews with team members prior to deployments.
Is this for me?
- Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or a related field.
- 5+ years of data science experience (may substitute an advanced degree for a portion of industry experience)
- Programming experience in Python and SQL
- Preferred: programming experience with Java, Spark, and Drools
- Knowledge of AWS, Gitlab, Airflow
- Knowledge of ETL pipelining and data warehousing
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Well organized and capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Well organized, self-motivated and an ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
Why do I want to work here?
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
We’re in tune with what the world is watching, buying, and everything in between. If you can think of it, we’re measuring it. We sift through the small stuff and piece together big pictures to provide a comprehensive understanding of what’s happening now and what’s coming next for our clients. Today’s data is tomorrow’s marketplace revelation.
We like to be in the middle of the action. That’s why you can find us at work in over 100 countries. From global industry leaders to small businesses, consumer goods to media companies, we work with them all. We’re bringing in data 24/7 and the possibilities are endless. See what’s next with us at Nielsen: careers.nielsen.com
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Columbia,Maryland
Secondary Locations: IL – Chicago, NY – New York City, ,