North America / United States / MD / Columbia
#: 88861-en_US / 88861
Lead Data Scientist – Scarborough – 88861
Data Science – USA Columbia, Maryland
The Scarborough team is looking for an experienced, intellectually curious and independent modeling expert who can help take the product to the next level. Scarborough is the source of high quality consumer behavior and attitudinal data that, when combined with both internal Nielsen datasets and external data sources such as Polk, MRI and MARS, is a powerful buying and selling tool for our media and advertising clients. The Lead Data Scientist will be primarily responsible for designing and implementing a new fusion model to incorporate radio listening from the Audio Diary sample and PPM (Personal People Meter) panel into the Scarborough product offering. Other potential projects include designing new models or improving existing models for the inclusion of RPD TV data, attitudinal survey data, and Scarborough+ (formerly @Plan).
What will I do?
- Develops and implements statistical models to be used in a production environment to improve survey quality.
- Works closely with internal customers and IT personnel to improve current processes and engineer new methods. This includes support with writing new software, testing and end-user requirements.
- Acts as the primary modeling subject matter expert on cross functional teams, vigorously advocating for modeling solutions to complex business problems.
- Able to effectively communicate complex ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Develops, tests, and implements high quality, modular python code that can be seamlessly integrated into an existing production system.
- Develops and implements machine learning solutions to leverage big data from internal and external sources.
- Queries data from large relational databases/Data warehouse/Data Lakes for various analyses and/or requests.
Is this for me?
- 5+ years of experience in data science with experience in media research
- Bachelors degree in Statistics, Social Science, Operation Research, or other sciences (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Biology, Physics etc.) with outstanding analytical expertise and strong technical leadership.
- Proficiency with Python, R
- Proficiency with statistical tests and procedures such as Regression, ANOVA, Chi-squared, Correlation,, and Student t-test
- Knowledge of machine learning and data modeling techniques such as Time Series, Decision Trees, Random Forests, SVM, Neural Networks, Incremental Response Modeling, and Scoring
- Experience utilizing GitLab and/or Git or similar to manage code development
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (S3, Lambda, Redshift, EC2, etc.)
- Experience utilizing Apache Spark & Airflow
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Expertize in querying large datasets with SQL and of working with Oracle, Netezza, Data Warehouse and Data Lake data structures
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word) and/or Google Office Apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides, Gmail)
- Expertize with Tableau, Spotfire, or other data visualization software and techniques
- Experience utilizing Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Proficiency with the SAS language and toolset (Enterprise Guide, Forecast Studio, etc.)
- Knowledge of survey sampling methodologies
- Proficiency with Databricks
- Masters/PhD degree in one of the above fields
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Columbia,Maryland
Secondary Locations: NY – New York City, , ,