North America / United States / NY / New York City
#: 89282-en_US / 89282
Lead Demographer – 89282
Data Science – USA New York, New York
The primary responsibility of this position will be to design the next generation of media-related population estimates to fuel Nielsen’s Total Audience measurement. Consumers have more options than ever to engage with content and Nielsen must supply its clients with reliable market-level estimates of how people access that content (e.g., the migration from traditional cable or over-the-air access to “virtual” providers such as YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, and Sling TV). You will engage in strategic conversations with stakeholders to identify emerging estimation needs and propose methodological solutions to estimate the size and composition of these relevant subpopulations. Innovative solutions will be required when data are scarce. This will involve identifying relevant internal and external datasets (combining where appropriate, e.g. leverage strengths of digital data to complement traditional geographic-based data assets) and the optimal small area estimation approach to achieve goals. The successful candidate will draw on a strong quantitative toolkit that should consist of, but is not limited to, synthetic and composite estimations, empirical/hierarchical Bayes approaches, and social network analysis.
What will I do?
- Engage with stakeholders to understand estimation needs and use cases
- Research and prototype solutions that are fit for purpose for business needs
- Challenge legacy small area estimation techniques and “future proof” current methodologies against upcoming changes in critical data inputs (e.g. the Census Bureau’s introduction of differential privacy as part of their disclosure avoidance system, starting with the 2020 Census)
- Create thought leadership around emerging techniques and their application to Nielsen use cases
- Write specifications and technical requirements for the implementation of new methods
- Liaise with the US Census Bureau and relevant professional organizations to advocate for Nielsen use cases of public sector data (e.g. Differential Privacy)
- Communicate and defend universe estimate methodologies to Nielsen clients; socialize impact of updated estimates via webinars, etc.
Is this for me?
- Master’s Degree or more in demography, sociology, urban planning, statistics, survey research, public policy or a related field with 6+ years of applied demographic research experience
- Expertise and skills in demographic theory and small area estimation approaches in applied settings (Bayesian techniques and network theory preferred)
- Experience in spatial analysis and geographic information systems preferred
- Solid understanding of US Census Bureau methods and survey practices
- Statistical programming experience (Python preferred)
- Outstanding oral and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with both statistical and non-statistical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and facilitate the work of team members
- Professional publications and conference presentations
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: New York,New York
Secondary Locations: FL – Tampa – Oldsmar, IL – Chicago, MD – Columbia,