North America / United States / IL / Chicago
#: 101961-en_US / 101961
Manager, Data Science – 101961
Data Science – USA Chicago, Illinois
The Manager, Data Science position is responsible for a blend of research, analytics, and statistical operations, leading a team of associates responsible for the statistical weighting, computations, and methodological enhancements of our local Metered Market measurement products. Make an immediate impact with modern audience measurement techniques that blend the strengths of high quality representative panel data with the scale of “big data” assets such as set top boxes and Smart TVs.
In this role, you will lead a small team by organizing, specifying, and reviewing the work of junior data scientists. You will get into the nitty-gritty details of coding, pipelines, and model development, ensuring product quality, stability, and scalability by facilitating code reviews and driving best practices such as modular code, unit tests, and the like. You will use your ability to comprehend complex problems quickly and identify/explore creative solutions across linear and streaming modes of media consumption. Project areas may include such topics as representation/sampling, bias reduction, anomaly detection, and classification problems.
The ideal candidate has a background that skews towards data engineering while still having a strong data intuition and methods foundation. You should have an ability to be scrappy when necessary but lean towards building scalable longer term solutions.
What will I do?
- Translate product/project requirements into technical tasks for the data science team
- Collaborate with cross functional Product and Technology teams to deliver on the product roadmap on schedule
- Make decisions on the selection of methodologies, technical tools, and processes that most effectively and efficiently reach the desired outcome
- Work with Agile teams to productionalize, validate, and optimize methodologies
- Implement strategies to automate production of methodologies. Actively sponsor code reviews
- Support analyses for custom requests, client inquiries, impact of changing methodologies, audits, and standards/best practices
- Learn and become an expert in how big data flows through Nielsen systems in order to create reliable data views that will feed into client inquiry processes
- Stay abreast of changing technologies in the marketplace and proactively identify applications of these latest developments to improve existing methods/processes
- Summarize, document, and communicate research findings to audiences of varying levels of technical subject matter expertise
Is this for me?
- Master’s degree in a quantitative research field, such as data science, statistics, computer science, etc.
- At least 6 years research experience in a business setting
- Experience managing people
- Statistical and analytical skills with expertise in modeling/machine learning techniques
- Excellent Python skills, including relevant data science libraries such as Pandas, Scikit-learn, PyTorch, and PyMC3
- Proficient SQL query and development skills
- Experience with cloud environments and big data technologies (e.g., Spark, AWS)
- Collaborative code development experience, including version control, unit/integration testing, code review and sharing (preferably in Git)
- Experience in managing and executing large-scale, complex technical projects
- Curiosity and skepticism
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with big data orchestration and processing tools such Spark and Airflow etc.
- Experience in containerization such as Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Experience working within Agile teams
- Experience in, or knowledge about, the media or TV industry
By connecting clients to audiences, we fuel the media industry with the most accurate understanding of what people listen to and watch. To discover what audiences love, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are truly connected to their audiences, they can see the most important opportunities and accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Chicago,Illinois
Secondary Locations: Remote, , ,