North America / United States / NY / New York City
#: 87866-en_US / 87866
Product Manager (Remote) – 87866
Product Leadership – USA New York, New York
Nielsen is a global measurement and data analytics company that provides the most complete and trusted view available of consumers and markets worldwide. Our approach marries proprietary Nielsen data with other data sources to help clients around the world understand what’s happening now, what’s happening next, and how to best act on this knowledge. For more than 90 years Nielsen has provided data and analytics based on scientific rigor and innovation, continually developing new ways to answer the most important questions facing the media, advertising, retail and fast-moving consumer goods industries. An S&P 500 company, Nielsen has operations in over 100 countries, covering more than 90% of the world’s population.
Product Manager in the Digital space working on the Digital Content Ratings team to drive product development. Digital Content Ratings is a global product that is critical for census based audience measurement across computer, mobile, and connected devices (e.g., Smart TVs). The Product Manager should have enough technical understanding to establish goals, refine requirements, and author sprint level stories for the product development teams covering the Digital Content systems.
Lead product development as efficiently as possible in the context of the business and technical requirements with direct accountability for the operational stability and efficiency associated with Digital Content Ratings and their upstream and downstream partners. “Digital Content Ratings” encompasses measurement of text (web and app usage) and video usage across computer, mobile and connected television devices. As a Product Manager you will work closely with other Product Managers and clients to understand the needs of our clients and use this perspective to drive priorities across Technology, Data Science, and Operations.
- Collaborate within and across product development teams to build and execute against aligned roadmap and play a critical role in refining requirements and iterating on development
- Leverage Agile best practices to execute against roadmap with flexibility and ultimately ship the right product at the right time
- Take and drive accountability for overall health of product development team(s) including profitability, accuracy / robustness of data, and velocity
- Become technical expert in Digital Content Ratings – with understanding of end-to-end systems architecture and data flow as well as marketplace dynamics, key clients and use cases
- Maintain an intake process to ensure the team has an up to date list of all the backlog items to facilitate efficient prioritization.
- Establish and maintain a data quality mindset to drive internal accountability for data integrity released to internal and external clients.
- Pull in appropriate cross functional team members when they are not part of the Digital Content teams at any point in the process as needed
- Coordinate with required stakeholders for backlog prioritization, severity issues resolutions and other communications.
- Work with Product Sales, Product Marketing, and with clients for Product Discovery and for voice of client in order to inform Product Roadmap.
- Partner with stakeholders and cross functional leaders by effectively communicating strategies and trade-offs so that priority can be determined. Clearly lay out all trade-off implications for business.
- For example: If there are multiple options on a reprocess or reference change, work across other Product Manager domains and/or product development teams to understand work required and rough order on timing so these can be understood for prioritization decisions.
- Understand the ongoing tech work, current system design and limitations.
- Intake and Prioritization:
- Accountable for intake, sizing, prioritization, story quality including acceptance criteria and testing.
- Translate stakeholder requirements into high level stories and help break them down into actionable work stories
- Break down and prioritize features / user stories such that tech, ops and data science teams can successfully execute the work
- Documenting the business requirements and use cases in detail in Confluence.
- Understand client needs/requirements and be responsible for confirming development meets client/business needs.
- Ensure alignment on scope across all stakeholders throughout the lifecycle of product development
- Manage the product backlog by updating on progress and supporting Product discussions to clearly set the priority based on near, mid and future-term initiatives
- Lead and/or contribute to agile ceremonies (Standups, Sprint Planning, Retrospective, Design, Demos, Backlog Grooming) by adding business context, voice of customer, and prioritization for the product development teams
- Provide clear and concise communication to stakeholders regarding progress as necessary
- Manage Project Plan and resolve any dependencies for Digital Content features.
- Provide inputs on clearing the impediments across any of the stories the team is working on.
- Facilitate coordination with relevant Product Managers and Product Marketing on the deployment dates and commitments.
- 2-5 years Product Management experience
- Experience in Agile development practices is required
- A bias for change and the ability to influence a team toward a culture of quality
- Strong communication, persuasion, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple competing initiatives
- Ability to listen and quickly distill information to recommend a course of action in driving project deliverables or client escalations
- Client-facing experience with the ability to translate between internal and external client needs
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science related field preferred (Computer Science, Computer and Information Technology, Systems Analysis & Design, Information Sciences and Technology, IT Management, Management Information Systems, Business Information Technology, Decision Support Systems)
- Digital Media industry experience is a plus
- Preferred candidate should have a proven track record and experience necessary to advocate for and establish product management best practices at Nielsen.
- Experience with scrum development practices is desired
- Experience with Atlassian toolset (JIRA, Confluence) is desired
- Experience with back-end development teams using cloud infrastructure technologies such as Airflow, Spark, AWS
- Experience with industry relevant operating systems like Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.
- Experience with databases like mySQL, Oracle, etc.
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: New York,New York
Secondary Locations: FL – Tampa – Oldsmar, IL – Chicago, Remote,