North America / United States / NY / New York City
Technology & Engineering
#: 102062-en_US / 102062
Senior Big Data Engineer (Remote OK) – 102062
Technology and Engineering – USA New York, New York
Nielsen is not just a TV ratings company anymore. We have evolved into the leading media data technology company. We help the biggest names out there, from Amazon, Google, and Sony to the hottest new contenders. From Hollywood to Bollywood, Streaming to Broadcast, and Gaming to Sports, everything we do revolves around audience and content.
Therefore, counting everyone and ensuring that all voices are seen and heard in media is at the heart of who we are as a company. This year, we are launching an industry-defining new capability that measures diversity and inclusion in the content world. Does the content we view on television, movies, and streaming services reflect the growing diversity of our world? Are we featuring diverse talent on-screen and behind-the-camera, and are we avoiding stereotypical and problematic roles? What role does diversity on-screen and behind the camera play in driving tune-in, subscriptions, and engagement?
Inclusion Analytics Senior Big Data Engineer
If you are creative and motivated and this mission is meaningful to you, we want individuals like you on our engineering team. Our team combines data from all across Nielsen, including our industry-standard measurement and our industry-leading content metadata. We then enrich that data and produce a wealth of metrics and insights that our clients need to improve the quality and diversity of their content. In the end, what we do helps improve diversity in the entertainment industry.
The tools and platforms we use include Spark, Trino (aka PrestoSQL), and Airflow. We develop primarily in Python and deploy in AWS. If you’re experienced with Big Data tools, methods, and familiar with at least one programming language and love learning, please apply!
Our team is small, diverse, agile, and we like building things fast. You will have the opportunity to develop yourself in areas like big data, cloud computing, data lake architecture, and data orchestration. This is a perfect opportunity for people who want to learn and grow. We will invest in you and hope you will be with us for the long term.
- Excited to join a fast-moving team that is creating an industry-changing product
- Team player with flexible, proactive and pragmatic attitude
- Experience with Big Data tools, platforms, and methods
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science (or related field) or proven experience in the field
- The ability to communicate clearly and work independently
- Knowledge of and experience with data engineering best practices
- Experienced with SQL
- Experience with (big) data workloads; including handling data quality issues, big data scaling issues, etc.
- Familiar with at least one programming language (Python preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with AWS (especially S3 and EMR)
- Familiar with source code version-control repositories like Github or similar
- Basic understanding of data lakes / data warehousing.
- Knowledge of and experience with column-oriented data storage formats (ORC, Parquet)
- Knowledge of and experience with Airflow (This can be taught)
By connecting clients to audiences, we fuel the media industry with the most accurate understanding of what people listen to and watch. To discover what audiences love, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are truly connected to their audiences, they can see the most important opportunities and accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: New York,New York
Secondary Locations: PA – Pittsburgh, Remote, CA – Emeryville,