North America / United States / FL / Tampa – Oldsmar
Technology & Engineering
#: 88612-en_US / 88612
Senior Software Developer – 88612
Technology and Engineering – USA Oldsmar, Florida
Are you hungry for a challenge?
You’ll need that appetite as an engineer on the Digital Ad Ratings team at Nielsen because we work in an extremely dynamic and fast-paced industry. We measure tens of thousands of advertising campaigns with billions of ads served to consumers on phones, tablets, computers, and internet streaming devices every day. The data sets that we deal with are stunning in their size, and pose enormous challenges in collecting, handling, analyzing, and storing so much information. We have an immediate opening for a talented engineer to join our backend team and help scale our rapidly growing systems and team.
Who are we?
- Arthur C. Nielsen founded the company in 1923 with a goal of helping companies measure their sales and better understand the consumers that drove them. From retail sales and consumer purchase measurement to Radio and Television measurement, Nielsen is the original big data company. Digital consumer measurement is the latest chapter in our rich measurement history
- We are the provider of the Web’s primary measurement platform for brand advertising (a $83B industry in 2017 and growing quickly). Some of our customers: Procter & Gamble, Facebook, Hulu, GroupM, and Roku
- Strong strategic technology partnerships with Facebook, Google, Adobe, and others set our measurement products apart from any others in the industry
- A world-class group of people and work environment located in Tampa, Florida
- An open-minded and innovative engineering team and environment. We use many of the latest open-source software, frameworks, tools, and cloud computing services
What kind of engineer are we looking for?
- Strong object-oriented and/or Functional Programming skills, ideally JVM-oriented experience (5+ years) – Scala/Java.
- Actual experience (3+ years) working with Spark and related frameworks (experience with other NoSQL tools like DynamoDB, Pig, Cassandra, MongoDB, CouchDB, and Infobright are good too)
- Experience working in and a fundamental understanding of the Amazon Web Services ecosystem (EMR, S3, IAM, RDS, EC2, Lambda, DynamoDB, etc.) is a big plus
- Deep understanding of Agile and DevOps development processes and supporting tools (GitLab, GitOps, CI/CD, TDD, etc.)
- Familiarity with Immutable Infrastructure and Infrastructure as Code (Terraform is a big plus)
- BS in Computer Science, Math, or equivalent (MS or Phd a plus)
- A ridiculous attention to detail and pride in the work you do
We’re expecting you to be able to hit the ground running on your very first day. This means not only having the technical skills to code, but knowing how to work as part of an engineering team. It should go without saying that you know how to use source control in your sleep, be able to setup and administer your own dev machine, have worked with IntelliJ or other comparable IDE’s, work with defect tracking systems, write proper code documentation, etc.
By connecting clients to audiences, we fuel the media industry with the most accurate understanding of what people listen to and watch. To discover what audiences love, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are truly connected to their audiences, they can see the most important opportunities and accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Oldsmar,Florida
Secondary Locations: FL – Tampa – Oldsmar, , ,