North America / United States / CA / Emeryville
#: 84484-en_US / 84484
Senior Software Engineer, Music – 84484
Gracenote – USA Emeryville, California
Explore and Discover Nielsen! With offices located in 110 countries, we are a global independent measurement and big data analytics company focused on your future.
Gracenote, a Nielsen Company is the leading provider of entertainment metadata and media recognition technology that powers discovery features for top TV, music, sports and automotive platforms.
We are presently looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join Gracenote’s Music and Automotive team. We are looking for quick learners with great programming skills; people who are self-starters and who take ownership of their work.
The Music and Automotive team develops products that power Music and Entertainment systems of nearly every Automotive OEM and Tier 1 on the planet. We are seeking someone who is passionate about using the best software processes and tools to help automobile manufacturers differentiate themselves by creating unique experiences that delight their customers.
The Music and Automotive team writes software that powers over 250 million state of the art car stereos, home media players, and other entertainment systems for the world's top automotive and consumer electronics manufacturers. We are seeking someone who is passionate about using the best software processes and tools to help automobile manufacturers differentiate themselves by creating unique experiences that delight their customers.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Design, build and iterate on internal and customer-facing demos using Gracenote products (both final and in development).
- Work with stakeholders to understand what problems we should solve and why, thinking critically about new project proposals
- Elaborate detailed designs from high-level architecture and user stories
- Implement well-tested and documented solutions using good coding practices
- Measure solutions against quality and performance targets, diagnose issues and work with your teammates on solutions
- Take initiative to seek out and communicate with domain experts to facilitate correct solutions
- Seek out and adopt appropriate technologies for the project at hand
- Collaborate with and mentor team members
- Work on a scrum team in an agile release train comprising over 10 scrum teams that collaborate closely in planning and execution to deliver solutions
WHAT DO WE OFFER:
- The chance to work in a highly skilled technical team allowing you to come up with designs, implement them, and solve interesting customer and interesting software problems
- A welcoming atmosphere that will instantly make you feel comfortable within our team-oriented and fun environment
- A creative, musical culture featuring employee concerts and performances year round
FOR THIS ROLE WE ARE LOOKING FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE:
- A Computer Science degree or equivalent
- 4+ years experience in software development
- Teamwork and team building skills that will contribute directly to team success
- Ability and passion for learning new technology
- Familiarity with embedded systems:
- Android Automotive OS
- Familiarity with web technologies such as:
- Serverless Framework
- Familiarity with AWS cloud services
- Database skills in any of the following:
- NoSQL, e.g. Postgres
- SQL, e.g. Oracle
Other beneficial technical skills
- C, C++
- Testing / JUnit
- Clear Documentation
- Machine Learning
- Backend development skills in Java, Apigee, etc
- RESTful API development
- Data Analytical skill also a strong plus, including
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- An understanding of how to look at data and extract meaningful information
- Experience in scripting, querying and/or analytics tools, e.g. Python, R or similar tools
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Emeryville,California