North America / United States / CA / Emeryville
#: 79863-en_US / 79863
Software Engineer – 79863
Gracenote – USA Emeryville, California
Gracenote, a Nielsen Global Media Company is the world’s leading entertainment data and technology company. We power the top music services, consumer electronics companies, automakers, media companies and cable and satellite operators on the planet. At its core, Gracenote helps connect people with the entertainment they love most.
Gracenote Video is helping TV operators and OTT services to reimagine the TV experience from every angle, changing the way viewers connect with, discover, and enjoy their favorite TV shows and movies.
We are presently looking for a Software Engineer or to help ingest, process and consolidate video metadata from all around the world.
Tech Stack: Scala, Spark, Java, Go, Python, Cassandra, AWS (Step functions, lambda, lake formation, glue)
What You Will Be Doing:
- Design, develop, and maintain end to end data solutions using open source, modern data lake technologies (Spark, Cassandra, Parquet, AWS Services)
- Operating and scaling our infrastructure in AWS
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Proactively identify performance & data quality problems and drive the team to remediate them.
- Advocate architectural and code improvements to the team to improve execution speed and reliability.
- Develop best practices around observability and data processing
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using Spark and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
- 3+ years of experience in data engineering, software engineering, or other related roles
- 3+ years using relational database concepts with a working knowledge of SQL, SQL Tuning, data modeling best principles, OLAP, Big Data technologies
- 3+ years experience in Java, Scala, and/or Go development
- 2+ years experience Python
- 2+ years development with Apache Spark
- 2+ years of working experience in AWS (EC2, EMR, RDS, Elasticsearch, Glue, Lake Formation)
- Experience with development best practices, including query optimization, version control, code reviews, and documentation
- Experience storing data in columnar storage like Apache Parquet
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
ABOUT NIELSEN GLOBAL MEDIA
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Emeryville,California