North America / United States / FL / Tampa – Oldsmar
#: 75644-en_US / 75644
Sr. Data Scientist – 75644
Data Science – USA Oldsmar, Florida
What is the role?
This position will focus on future measurement technologies and will play a key role in our upcoming measurement strategy. The team member will work on both statistical research and code development. They will need to design and execute concrete research approaches based on abstract concepts, and then use the results of their research to implement changes into future production methodologies. The team member will need to present research to key stakeholders and collect/implement feedback as necessary. Methodologies are primarily associated with television and digital measurement.
What will I do?
- Design, execute and summarize research based on abstract questions and concepts.
- Provide recommendations and reasoning for rule changes based on research findings.
- Document research plans, results, and conclusions. Share them with auditors as needed.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in various departments (Engineering, Data Science, Technology, etc.). This includes providing status updates, developing timelines, sharing data, executing tests, presenting results, etc.
- Explain complex mathematical and computer science concepts in simple terms to non-technical audiences.
- Configure, deploy, monitor and update a drools engine and some supporting java code.
- Coordinate regular code reviews with team members prior to deployments.
Is this for me?
- Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics or a related field.
- 5+ years of data engineering experience / software development experience
- Expert knowledge of Python, Spark, Scala
- Expert knowledge of the Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience with Java, Drools
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Gitlab, Airflow
- Strong knowledge of ETL pipelining and data warehousing
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Well organized and capable of handling multiple mission critical projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Self-motivated and an ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Manage projects consisting of cross functional teams including data science, engineering, and product leadership
About the team:
Data Science is core to what Nielsen does, and our projects have high visibility in directly impacting the results of our business and our clients. This position is in the Panel and Meter Methods team within Nielsen’s Data Science organization. Our team is a combination of people who support our core production panels and those that research the next phase of measurement technology. Research drives our decision making process and is core to every aspect of our work.
Why do I want to work here?
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
We’re in tune with what the world is watching, buying, and everything in between. If you can think of it, we’re measuring it. We sift through the small stuff and piece together big pictures to provide a comprehensive understanding of what’s happening now and what’s coming next for our clients. Today’s data is tomorrow’s marketplace revelation.
We like to be in the middle of the action. That’s why you can find us at work in over 100 countries. From global industry leaders to small businesses, consumer goods to media companies, we work with them all. We’re bringing in data 24/7 and the possibilities are endless. See what’s next with us at Nielsen: careers.nielsen.com
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.