North America / United States / CA / Emeryville
Marketing & Communications
#: 84569-en_US / 84569
Vice President, Communications – 84569
Marketing and Communications – USA Emeryville, California
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS – NIELSEN MEDIA
We aspire to be one diverse, empowered, expert, motivated, passionate and accountable team driving winning outcomes through marketing and communication strategies, programs and initiatives. We are relentlessly focused on our audiences. This enables us to create compelling brand perception and favorability. We propel product and solution growth and support outsized client, consumer, shareholder and community respect and engagement. We are insights and opportunity driven. We proactively fuel growth through well-honed strategies, creative and thoughtful programs and exceptional execution.
ABOUT THIS JOB
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced VP of Communications to create compelling product narratives and communications strategies to support Nielsen’s growth strategies and thought leadership objectives. As a senior leader in Nielsen’s Marketing organization, this role will initially oversee the communications strategies for two primary product pillars – Nielsen Planning and Outcomes and Gracenote Content Services.
Nielsen is a leading global data and analytics company that provides a holistic and objective understanding of the media industry. Nielsen has three primary business pillars: Planning and Outcomes, Gracenote Content Services and Audience Measurement. This role will focus on effectively driving visibility for Nielsen’s product and people as well as clearly communicating key value propositions. Target audiences for Nielsen’s planning and outcomes offerings include advertisers and agencies. For Gracenote’s content search, discovery and analytics products, key audiences include MVPDs, cable and satellite companies, streaming services, content creators and studios.
SCOPE OF THIS ROLE
This role will lead teams to drive all external communications programs for the respective businesses, as well as collaborate with the broader marketing communications team to align demand generation, digital/social media and brand marketing activities. The VP of Communications will also be responsible for elevating Nielsen and Gracenote executives through thought leadership programs while mining for unique data/technology innovation stories to articulate different facets of the business. Candidates should have experience leading remote teams to develop and execute holistic communications strategies. The ideal candidate must be capable of translating complex subjects into consumer-friendly messages for media, executives, customers and employees and be naturally inquisitive about how technology works.
- Build a strong communications team focused on developing proactive product and insights-driven stories that reach existing clients and prospects
- Create and drive product narratives that map to Nielsen’s broader corporate strategy and vision
- Work across the marketing team to develop holistic communications strategies for new product launches, enhancements and momentum announcements
- Work with data science and engineering teams to identify proactive tech and data stories that underscore product innovation
- Work with the commercial team to announce new client wins that show a variety of client use cases
- Manage business-level crises across external, client and internal communications in close collaboration with Corporate Communications
- Develop and execute executive communications programs, alongside Events and Industry Partnerships team, to secure earned speaking opportunities, product and people awards and drive external campaigns
- Collaborate with the Creative Design team to develop presentations for executive keynotes and other high-profile events
- Develop all written materials, including company messaging and statements, communications plans, press releases, speeches/scripts/talking points, awards submissions, blog posts, byline/op-ed articles, FAQs, and other collateral
- Effectively work cross-functionally with senior leadership and teams across Nielsen, including product, engineering, marketing, legal, and client service
- Cultivate relationships with Nielsen beat reporters across business, media, tech and entertainment trades
- 15+ years of experience of agency or in-house experience, social media experience a plus
- Have experience leading communications strategies at a medium-to-large company
- Solid understanding the needs of the advertiser and agency landscape, advertising agency experience a plus
- Results-oriented, committed to quality of product and exceptional attention to detail
- Stellar verbal and written communications translating complex technologies and issues into succinct, compelling messages
- Excellent organization, project management and problem solving skills
- Must be a self-starter and willing to forgo best practices to create new ones
- Proven ability to work effectively with senior executives and lead projects from conception to execution
- Have a roll up your sleeves and get it done attitude – it is not enough to have great ideas, you must be able to get stuff done
- Playing well with others is a must. We work as a team and have no room for egos
- Be able to work independently, but also cultivate deep relationships inside and outside the organization
- Be able to work in a dynamic environment where new projects and deadlines pop-up often
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Emeryville,California
Secondary Locations: NY – New York City, , ,