What is your favorite TV show about? Why do you like the stories you see? Who are the characters and stars who touch you? As media platforms diversify, and populations evolve in our communities, the stories we see in the media should reflect our diverse voices and experiences. Nielsen has long been known for counting everyone. Now we are taking that further, to ensure that you are not just counted, but are seen and heard.
2020 Diverse Intelligence Series: Inclusion on TV
To support the media ecosystem with insights essential to understanding the current condition and accelerating change, Nielsen is launching our inaugural report on inclusion in TV.
Our goal: help the media industry create inclusive content, powered by diverse content creators.
Now, media programmers, distributors and advertisers can more effectively assess how investments in diverse talent and content can improve audience engagement, advertiser reach and increased visibility of underrepresented groups in media.
Check out the highlights:
LEARN MORE ABOUT INCLUSION ON TV
Use our interactive tool to learn more about
- Inclusion by gender and ethnicity
- Inclusion by program genre e.g. comedy, drama, reality, news
- Inclusion across broadcast, cable and streaming platforms
HOW to use
- Click on the blue headers to select the information you want to explore
- Click on the buttons on the left to choose the platform: Broadcast, Cable, SVOD (streaming video on demand) or Total (combined view of all platforms)
- Select the identity group on the right drop down list
HOW to read
- Hover over each of the bars for the specific value. If the value is under 100, that identity group is underrepresented.
- For Inclusion Opportunity Index (IOI)* and Genre: the mid-point (100%) indicates where on screen representation of an identity group (e.g. women) is on par with their representation in population estimates.
- For Share of Screen (SOS)**: The % indicates representation of each identity group in the top 10 recurring cast members in a program.
*Inclusion Opportunity Index (IOI): compares the SOS of an identity group (e.g. women) to their representation in population estimates
**Share of Screen (SOS): Identity group (e.g. women, LGBTQ, Hispanic) representation among the top 10 recurring cast members
SHARING OUR MULTICULTURAL INSIGHTS
Check our other 2020 Diverse Intelligence Series reports and other multicultural insights.
YOUR PRIVACY MATTERS
Your voice, your preferences and the power you yield as a consumer matters. It matters not only to the businesses that produce the products and media you consume, but it also matters to us. At Nielsen, we are committed to being responsible with the personal data we maintain and we are committed to protecting the privacy and security of the personal data we collect.