Media Analytics Privacy Statement
Effective Date: March 2019
Thank you for agreeing to participate in our market research. For decades, Nielsen has set the global standard for market and consumer insight research. Our insights are based on representative samples of the population and help our clients (e.g., manufacturers, retailers, media companies, non-profit organizations, and government entities) learn about what consumers watch, listen to, and buy. Participation in our surveys and studies help companies understand how consumers interact with their products and services.
The Nielsen group of companies (“Nielsen,” “we, or “us”) cares about your privacy. This Privacy Notice explains how we will use, share, and protect the data that we collect from or about you in connection with your participation in this survey or study, including in connection with your interaction with this website (this “Website”). This Privacy Notice also outlines your choices and legal rights in relation to such data. To learn more about the Nielsen group of companies, one or more of which may process your data in connection with your participation in this survey or study and use of this Website, please click here.
Please note that this Privacy Notice applies only to data processed by us in connection with your participation in this survey or study and your interaction with this Website. This Privacy Notice does not apply to your participation in any other Nielsen surveys, studies, or panels or your interaction with or use of any other websites, applications, or online services administered or provided by other parties, including entities within the Nielsen group of companies. Other surveys, studies, panels, websites, applications, and online services are governed by their own privacy notices, and we encourage you to review those privacy notices before disclosing any data.
Your participation in this survey or study is voluntary. If you do not agree to the terms of this Privacy Notice, please do not participate in this survey or study. If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or your data, please refer to the “Contact Us” section below for our contact information.
- Our Privacy Commitment
- Collection of Your Data
- Use of Your Data
- Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Data
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Disclosures and Transfers of Your Data
- Your Choices and Legal Rights
- Data Security
- Data Retention
- Updates to this Privacy Notice
- Contact Us
Nielsen complies with all applicable privacy laws, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation. Indeed, it is crucial for us to protect and keep confidential the data that we collect from and about all respondents/participants in order to prevent any third-party interference with them that could affect their behavior and the accuracy of our data. Additionally, we will never use your personal data to advertise, promote, market, or sell third-party goods or services directly to you or members of your household.
As a respondent/participant in this survey or study, we may collect or otherwise obtain data relating to you, your device, and/or your use of this Website. Such data may include personal data (i.e., data that alone or in combination with other data identifies you as an individual, such as your name, email address, phone number, and other data that can be reasonably linked to you as an individual). Additional details about the data that we may gather about you and the sources of such data can be found below.
A. Data provided by you
As part of this survey or study, we will gather data about you that you voluntarily provide or disclose to us. Depending on the nature of the survey or study, such data may include:
- demographic data about you and/or your household, such as your age, gender, marital status, occupation, household composition, and income range;
- your responses to our questions, which will help us better understand your views, preferences (e.g., your favorite breakfast cereal brand, the radio/TV stations you tend to listen to/watch, etc.), purchasing habits (e.g., when, where, and/or how frequently you shop for groceries), and behavior (e.g., when and how you consume media content);
- content or material you submit, upload, or transmit to us, including without limitation, photos, videos, audio recordings, and messages/comments as well as videos and/or audio recordings that we capture (with your permission) as part of a focus group or in-person interview; and
- information from your social media profile or about your social media use, if you agree to participate in a survey or study through a social media platform or app provider, such as Facebook or Twitter.
To the extent that any of the data that you voluntarily share or disclose to us is sensitive personal data (e.g., data relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other similar beliefs, health or medical conditions, criminal background, or trade union membership) or we are required to collect such data as a result of legal requirements imposed on us, we will, where necessary, obtain your explicit consent and use such data in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable law.
B. Data collected in connection with your use of this Website
C. Data obtained from other sources
We may obtain data about you from other sources, generally relating to your demographic characteristics; what you watch and/or buy; and your exposure to certain content or advertising.
We may obtain this data from various sources, including but not limited to:
- the manufacturers and/or sellers of the products and services you purchase or use;
- companies and retailers that offer “customer loyalty” programs;
- organizations that collect consumer information;
- data providers and data-matching service providers; and
- public sources (e.g., public databases, public social media profiles, etc.).
We may combine the data that we obtain about you with data from these additional sources. By participating in this survey or study, you agree that we may obtain data about you from other sources, such as those listed above, and use it for purposes consistent with those described in this Privacy Notice.
We use your data for the purpose(s) for which it was collected or provided to us (as stated above in the “Collection of Your Data” section or at the point of collection) or as otherwise obvious from the context of collection.
Generally, we will use your data to help us create a variety of market research insights for our clients. Our clients may use these insights to understand, among other things, the types of programs that are of interest to consumers and the types of products consumers in different demographic groups would be likely to purchase. Our insights may also help our clients make informed decisions about various topics, such as which advertising method(s) to use (e.g., online/digital advertising, mobile advertising, broadcast advertising, etc.).
When we prepare reports and share insights with our clients, we use tools and methods that are designed to ensure that there is no reasonable possibility of identifying any individual respondent/participant. For example, if you are responding to a survey, we will combine your responses with those of other respondents in order to produce reports with aggregated data from which you cannot be identified.
We may also create reports based upon “modeled data” (i.e., projections based on demographic and behavioral characteristics, such as gender, age, and purchasing habits) that look at a sample group of people and predict what people with similar characteristics or preferences would want to buy. This allows advertisers, for instance, to identify the likely audience for a marketing campaign.
In addition to using your data for our research purposes as described above, we may use your data to:
- administer the survey or study;
- operate and manage this Website and customize or personalize your user experience and the content we deliver to you when using this Website;
- operate and manage our IT security systems, including to monitor such systems and identify and respond to security events;
- communicate with you via any means (including via email, telephone, text message, or postal mail) about this survey or study and/or this Website, respond to your inquiries or requests, or update/validate the data that we hold about you;
- provide you with information about your participation in this survey or study, including, where applicable, how to access or redeem your reward or incentive for your participation;
- contact you with information about our business, services, and events as well as other information that may be of interest to you, such as offers to participate in other surveys, studies, or panels administered by us (subject always to obtaining your prior opt-in consent to the extent required under applicable law);
- conduct research for quality assurance and product, service, business development purposes, and other purposes (e.g., historical or longitudinal research);
- facilitate our day-to-day operations and financial management and any corporate transactions (e.g., a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, etc.);
- prevent, investigate, take action regarding, or provide notice of fraud; unlawful/criminal activity and other misconduct; security/technical issues; or unauthorized access to/use of data, this Website, or our data systems;
- protect the rights, property, operations, health, or safety of you, us, or others;
- enforce our agreements, comply with applicable laws and regulations, and establish, exercise, and/or defend our legal rights; and
- respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process/requests and communications from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
Applicable law in your country of residence may require us to set out in this Privacy Notice the legal basis upon which we rely in order to process your personal data.
If you are based in the European Union (“EU”)/European Economic Area (“EEA”), we will process your personal data for the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice based on one or more of the legal bases listed below.
- Legitimate interests: We rely on our legitimate interests, provided that such interests shall not be overridden by your interests, fundamental rights, or freedoms. In particular, among other things, we may process your personal data in reliance on a legitimate interest in: (i) effectively and lawfully administering this survey or study as well as the operation of our business and day-to-day affairs; (ii) communicating relevant information to you; (iii) conducting research and producing analyses; (iv) effectively delivering, developing, and improving our products and services; (v) managing, maintaining, and operating our IT and security systems; (vi) adequately protecting, defending, and safeguarding our networks; (vii) evaluating business and other corporate transactions; (viii) managing and enhancing protection against fraud, spam, harassment, intellectual property infringement, and risks to which we are exposed (e.g., crime and security risks); (ix) complying with laws and regulations to which we are subject, including, where applicable, laws and regulations of countries other than your country of residence; and (x) meeting our obligations and enforcing our legal rights.
- Consent: We may process your personal data based on your prior consent. We will only rely on this legal basis in relation to processing that is entirely voluntary (i.e., not necessary or obligatory).
- Compliance with legal obligations: We may process your personal data if necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation arising under applicable law to which we are subject.
To the extent that we process any sensitive personal data relating to you, we will do so because either: (i) you have given us your explicit consent to carry out such processing; (ii) the processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims; or (iii) you have made the data manifestly public.
If you have any questions or concerns about the legal basis upon which we collect and use your personal data, please email us at email@example.com.
Online advertising effectiveness cookie
In connection with certain surveys and studies, we may rely on cookies to help us gather additional information relating to your shopping habits and exposure to certain content or advertising. Specifically, following your voluntary acceptance, we will place the Nielsen online advertising/audience measurement cookie on your device, which will enable us to store certain information on your browser, including a unique cookie ID, and access such information at a later date. When you visit an online advertisement containing a Nielsen pixel tag, we will then be able to read the information stored in the cookie, record the time that you viewed the advertisement, and collect additional data about your browser and device (e.g., device type and model, operating system and version, IP address, and location (derived from your device’s IP address)). To the extent that this data constitutes personal data or is combined with any of your personal data, we will handle it in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Please note that if you no longer wish to participate in Nielsen’s online advertising/audience measurement research, you can opt out by clicking here.
In connection with one or more of the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice, your data may be disclosed to different entities within the Nielsen group of companies as well as:
- third-party service providers, including providers of the following services (among others): website or application hosting, management, or support; data analysis or processing; data backup; data security and storage; data matching; respondent recruitment and rewards/incentives fulfillment; and product development (subject to binding contractual obligations of confidentiality and security);
- our clients and other third parties, such as market research companies in accordance with market research industry ethical guidelines), as well as organizations and institutions engaged in historical, academic, or longitudinal research;
- relevant third parties as part of a corporate transaction, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings);
- competent governmental and public authorities, in each case to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or requests or for the purposes of reporting any actual or suspected breach of applicable law; and
- other third parties as we believe to be necessary (e.g., in order to protect the health, safety, rights, or property of you, us, or others) or appropriate for legal purposes (e.g., in connection with claims, disputes, or litigation or in order to enforce our legal rights).
All of the disclosures described above may result in the transfer of your personal data to countries or regions with data protection laws that differ from those in your country of residence. By participating in the survey or study and interacting with this Website, you are acknowledging that your personal data may be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence. In cases where your personal data is transferred outside of your country of residence, we will ensure that there are adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal data.
Additional information for EU/EEA residents
If you are based in the EU/EEA and your personal data will be transferred to a country that has not been recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection, the safeguards put in place might include a data transfer agreement with the data recipient based on standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission for transfers of personal data. Alternatively, in certain circumstances, your personal data may be transferred on the basis of a specific derogation or exemption recognized under applicable data protection law. For further details relating to the transfers described above and the adequate safeguards used with respect to such transfers, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participation in our surveys and studies is always voluntary. You may withdraw from this survey or study at any time. If you cease participation, we will continue to process the data that we collected prior to your withdrawal.
You also have choices about how we handle your personal data, and we are committed to providing you with reasonable access to your personal data and the ability to review and limit the use of such data in accordance with applicable law.
Depending on your country of residence, under applicable law you may have the right to:
- request confirmation as to whether or not we are processing any of your personal data;
- request access to or copies of your personal data;
- request that we update or correct your personal data (e.g., if it is inaccurate or incomplete);
- propose restrictions on the ways in which we use your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or limit our use of your personal data (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held);
- object to our processing of your personal data;
- withdraw the consent that you have given us to process your personal data (where we process your personal data solely on the basis of your consent and subject to certain limitations at law);
- request that your personal data be transferred to another organization in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format (to the extent applicable);
- request that we delete your personal data; and
lodge a complaint with the data protection or privacy authority in your country of residence regarding our processing of your personal data.
If you are interested in exercising one or more of the rights described above, please visit: https://app-de.onetrust.com/app/#/webform/391293ec-4527-4822-b13c-bc46154b8528. Because we want to avoid taking action regarding your personal data at the direction of someone other than you, please note that we may request information verifying your identity before we can give effect to the above-listed rights.
Additional information for EU/EEA residents
If you have any questions or concerns about our collection or use of your personal data, you can contact our EU Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
If you are unsatisfied with the way in which we have handled your personal data or any privacy query or request that you have raised to us, you also have a right to complain to the Data Protection Authority (“DPA”) in your country of residence or the country in which the issue that is the subject of your complaint occurred. To find the contact details of the appropriate DPA, please visit https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
Nielsen understands the importance of protecting the privacy of children, especially in the online environment. We do not allow children under the age of thirteen to participate in our surveys and studies, and we have measures in place to ensure that parents or legal guardians are aware of their minor child’s participation in our surveys and studies and have the opportunity to consent to their participation (such consent may be withdrawn at any time). All data about both adults and children will be handled in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We have in place reasonable organization, technical, and administrative measures designed to protect your data from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction while it is under our control. However, please be aware that the storage and transfer of data cannot always be one-hundred percent secure.
We will retain your data in a form that permits identification only for as long as needed for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice, unless a longer retention period is required under applicable law or is necessary in order to resolve disputes, protect our legal rights, or otherwise to comply with legal or professional obligations.
We may update and make changes to this Privacy Notice from time to time in light of changing business practices, technology, and/or legal requirements. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will amend the “Effective Date” at the top of this page and such modified or amended version of this Privacy Notice shall be effective as to you and your data as of that revision date.
The most current version of this Privacy Notice will always be available here. We encourage you to review this Privacy Notice periodically to remain informed about how we use and protect your data.
If you have any questions about this survey or study, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, comments, requests, or concerns about this Privacy Notice or our data handling practices, please email us at email@example.com or write us at one of the addresses below.
If you reside in the EU/EEA, please write us at:
Oxford Business Park South
John Smith Drive
Oxford OX4 2WB
Attn.: Legal Dept.
If you reside in any country outside of the EU/EEA, please write us at:
85 Broad Street
New York, NY 10004
Attn.: Legal Dept.
THANK YOU – WE APPRECIATE AND VALUE YOUR PARTICIPATION!
Nielsen Holdings plc (NYSE: NLSN) is a global performance management company that provides a comprehensive understanding of what consumers Watch and Buy. Nielsen’s Watch segment provides media and advertising clients with Total Audience measurement services across all devices where content – video, audio and text – is consumed. The Buy segment offers consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers the industry’s only global view of retail performance measurement. By integrating information from its Watch and Buy segments and other information sources, Nielsen provides its clients with both world-class measurement as well as analytics that help improve performance. Nielsen, an S&P 500 company, has operations in over 100 countries that cover more than 90 percent of the world’s population. For more information, please visit www.nielsen.com.
English | Español