Effective messaging is engaging by nature. In today’s oversaturated media world, engagement can be a tall order. And since time is of the essence, it’s important to pinpoint which aspects of your marketing materials are (and aren’t) working. Through our comprehensive, consumer neuroscience research, we do just that.
Our brains react to stimuli in milliseconds. They’re so in tune with what’s going on around us that the feelings that guide our behavior exist within our subconscious well before we’re even aware of them. By studying people at their most fundamental level—by measuring brainwaves—we provide a real-time view of their subconscious reactions.
Using proprietary technology that applies neuroscientific techniques to market research, we provide insight into every aspect of your marketing material. We measure real-time responses at both the conscious and subconscious levels, resulting in specific and actionable recommendations that can be implemented immediately.
The value of this research extends across the marketing spectrum—from packaging to video and from food to finance. Our work for a broad cross-section of Fortune 100 category leaders speaks for itself, demonstrating the value that consumer neuroscience can have for virtually every business.
Nielsen offers groundbreaking consumer neuroscience solutions in Innovation and Marketing Effectiveness, adding measurement of the subconscious mind to Nielsen’s complete understanding of the consumer. Our custom research can be applied across channels and throughout the creative process to optimize marketing touchpoints and improve your brand’s resonance with consumers. Our services include:
- Copy testing: Optimize creative development by pinpointing exactly what is (and isn’t) resonating with your consumer.
- Package testing: Develop effective packaging by pinpointing which elements resonate the most with your consumers.
- Shelf testing: Optimize in-store placement strategies for your product to maximum results.
- Brand essence: Measure your marketing material’s association with your brand, your message and your competition.
- Total consumer experience: Taste, touch, tone, time—they’re all part of the product experience. Discover key points of engagement as consumers interact with your product.
We use two complementary techniques for testing. Our electroencephalography (EEG) technology uses a non-invasive cap that measures brainwave activity, while eye-tracking sensors simultaneously measure pupil movement.
Together, these technologies provide a granular understanding of the consumer. By identifying areas of focus and people’s precise responses to them, they pinpoint what is (and isn’t) working on a second-by-second basis.
Our cross-disciplinary team is composed of world-class experts in business and neuroscience, including over a dozen neuroscientists globally.
At our labs around the world, our client service teams and neuroscientists work closely together to ensure that our testing adheres to the strictest scientific standards.
Outside of the lab, Nielsen is supported by our Science Advisory Board, whose members hail from the world’s leading academic institutions.
While our business is based on market research, we know that our technology and solutions extend beyond that capacity, and we’re eager to use them to make the world a better place.
We work with a variety of institutions and individuals to use our capabilities for good. Whether we’re helping with epilepsy research or optimizing a non-profit ad campaign, we are committed to supporting organizations affect positive social change and we reinvest more than 5% of our revenues into these activities.
Our revolutionary Nielsen Fourier One Headset is the world’s first medical-grade, full-brain EEG headset that is both dry and wireless. That means it’s portable and easy to use, reducing barriers to testing and increasing access to data, while maintaining strict scientific standards for accuracy and reliability.
Over seven years, our best minds in engineering and neuroscience have collaborated with our Science Advisory Board, investing nearly 100,000 hours in the development of our proprietary headset. We have even put our headset through clinical trials in Europe to verify the scientific integrity of our work, allowing us to have the utmost confidence in the insights we deliver to our clients.
- Put 'Em to the Test: How to Save Your Ads and Improve Their Resonance
- Nielsen TV: Twitter TV Signals Audience Engagement
- Social TV: A Bellwether for TV Audience Engagement
- Breaking the Mental Block: Helping Shoppers Stick to New Year's Resolutions
- Suiting Words to Action: Tailoring Advertising to Reinforce a Nonprofit's Message
- Hispanics Hop on the Latest Beer Trends