- Highest recorded time spent looking on real estate-related sites
- Total Time Spent driven by mobile audiences
SYDNEY, 6 MARCH, 2020: Latest data released today by Nielsen, revealed strong growth in January 2020 for both the number of people and the time spent on real estate-related sites.
Nielsen’s release coincides with Tuesday’s announcement by The Reserve Bank of Australia to cut the cash rate to a new record low of 0.5%.
Nielsen’s Digital Content Ratings data for the week commencing 13 January 2020 reported the highest Total Time Spent for the Real Estate/Apartments subcategory ever recorded in Nielsen’s digital measurement system.
The growth in Total Time Spent was driven by mobile audiences. In January 2020, when compared to January 2019, Total Time Spent by mobile audience grew by 21%, whilst computer only grew 2%.1
Nielsen’s reporting of the rise in audiences on real estate-related sites is also parallel to the rise in borrowing for home loans, as confirmed by ABS. In December 2019, new home loan commitments rose 14% YoY. This is primarily driven by owner-occupied loans (up 17.9% YoY) rather than investment loans (up 4.9%).2
“It’s great to see a strong start to the year for the digital real estate players, where we are seeing gains on engagement measures with the weekly time spent up 16% compared to the same week last year” commented Monique Perry, Nielsen’s Managing Director, Media and Sports
- Nielsen Digital Content Ratings, Monthly Tagged, January 2020 vs January 2019, Real Estate / Apartment sub-category, People 2+, Mobile, Text, Total Time Spent.
- ABS, Statistics, Finance, Lending Indicators, Dec 2019.
- Nielsen Digital Content Ratings, Weekly,, RealestateReal Estate / Apartments subcategory,WC 01/14/19 – WC 01/13/20, People 2+, Digital, Text, Total Time Spent.
Nielsen Digital Content Ratings Notes:
- Nielsen Digital Content Ratings measures participating publishers only.
- Nielsen Digital Content Ratings monthly-tagged data is the independent IAB-endorsed currency.
Nielsen Holdings plc (NYSE: NLSN) is a global measurement and data analytics company that provides the most complete and trusted view available of consumers and markets worldwide. Nielsen is divided into two business units. Nielsen Global Media, the arbiter of truth for media markets, provides media and advertising industries with unbiased and reliable metrics that create a shared understanding of the industry required for markets to function. Nielsen Global Connect provides consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers with accurate, actionable information and insights and a complete picture of the complex and changing marketplace that companies need to innovate and grow.
Our approach marries proprietary Nielsen data with other data sources to help clients around the world understand what’s happening now, what’s happening next, and how to best act on this knowledge.
An S&P 500 company, Nielsen has operations in over 100 countries, covering more than 90% of the world’s population. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com.
0412 405 761