- Youtube is the most widely used platform for watching online TV shows or movies
- 72% of the online shoppers bought fashion category
- E-Wallet becomes new payment option for consumers
Jakarta, 19 March 2020 – As much as 98% of netizens use smartphone devices to access the internet in the past 2 years, according to the findings of the Nielsen Digital Consumer 2019 released today by Nielsen Media (Indonesia). Followed by laptops that are accessed by 65% of netizens and 55% of netizens use a Desktop PC. But netizens who access via smart tv showed a significant increase (17%) in 2019 compared to 2017 (7%). Netizens in Indonesia use most of their time online to access social media.
Online shopping activities reach the peak during working hours (around 09.00-15.00) each day. From Nielsen Digital Consumer 2019, in the last 1 month 67% of online shoppers could spend IDR 50,000 – IDR 500,000 to shop online. The most purchased categories were fashion (72%), followed by food and beverage (42%), gadgets / electronics (41%), then daily needs and cosmetics / facial care at 40% each.
Looking deeper into consumer shopping trends, payment methods also now transform into digital payment as known by e-wallet. Among 56% of netizens nowadays use digital payment methods (e-wallet) almost every day. Most of them, with 81% of netizens use e-wallet to pay for their food and beverages. Followed by 72% of netizens use it for their transportation transactions and about 41% netizens pay bills (credit cards, electricity, water, etc.) with e-wallet. E-wallet applications used also vary with OVO being most dominant at 80% users.
For video viewing purposes, apart from Youtube there are many other platforms or sites whether with a free or subscription model. However, Youtube is still the most used platform by netizen (68%) to watch TV shows or movie content.
In terms of listening to music on internet, music sharing platforms and premium music applications are still loved by netizens. 67% of netizen listen to music or radio via sharing platforms such as Youtube or Dailymotion and 57% of them choose freemium music applications such as Spotify, Joox, Apple Music etc.
Read in Bahasa Indonesia
A message for Journalists and Editors:
- Nielsen highly recommends journalists and editors to include a brief explanation of Nielsen methodology into the article, whenever referring to Nielsen data as the source of information.
- To avoid any possible inaccuracy in using Nielsen data as reference, please do not hesitate to contact the above person for clarification.
- Nielsen has the Right of Reply for any inaccuracy of Nielsen data usage in the article.
ABOUT NIELSEN DIGITAL CONSUMER SURVEY 2019
Digital Consumer Survey 2019 is a study conducted using online survey among frequent online user (who access internet past 1 month) in 9 cities (Greater Jakarta, Greater Bandung, Greater Surabaya, Greater Semarang, Greater Yogyakarta, Greater Denpasar, Medan, Makassar, Palembang).